Adventure Awaits: Exploring Brazilian Culture
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Language of Instruction:||English||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10002OU Sponsoring College:
|College of International Studies|
|Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse||Minimum GPA:||2.0|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Brittany Donnelly||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
Spend part of your summer visiting Brazil! We will explore Rio de Janeiro, Brazil's "marvelous city", as well as several cities in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais over the course of 14 days, visiting popular sights, museums, and participating in cultural activities and events.
- Visit Rio’s stunning architecture and museums
- Visit Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer Statue
- Visit Rio’s famous beaches like Copacabana and Ipanema
- Visit several cities in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais
- Enjoy field trips, excursions, discussions and interactive class lectures
- Experience the culture of Brazil through fascinating activities
- Automatic $500 scholarship for accepted students (all students are still eligible to apply for additional PITF funding, awards based on financial need).
- Earn three hours of upper-division course credit
IAS/MLLL 4970: Brazilian Culture
Course Instructor: Dr. Paulo Moreira
June 9th – 24th, 2018
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
- Visa (EA will facilitate the process)
- Attendance at mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation: April 10th from 4 pm - 6pm in Farzaneh Hall, room 145.
- Rio de Janeiro, RJ
- Belo Horizonte, MG
- Tiradentes. MG
- Brumadinho, MG
- Ouro Preto, MG
The program-related budget estimate is below; this budget does not include personal expenses.
- OU Tuition & Fees: normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid and/or scholarships may apply)
- Program Fee - $2,400 (includes housing, in-country travel, international health & travel insurance, and some meals)
- 1st payment = $500 non-refundable deposit due with program acceptance by March 30th, 2018
- 2nd payment = $950 non-refundable program fee due April 13th, 2018
- 3rd payment = $950 non-refundable program fee balance due May 4th, 2018.
- Passport: $110.00
- Airfare: ~ $1,300 - $1,700
- Brazilian Visitor E-Visa: Visa Fee: $40; Service Fee: $4.24
- Personal expenses: vary
- Additional meals: vary
- Education Abroad Application Fee - $50 (charged to your Bursar account)
There are a number of scholarships available for study abroad students including, but not limited to the following:
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship: participants can apply for up to full cost of airfare, based on financial need.
- CASH - OU academic and study abroad scholarship hub
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship: A nationally competitive award for Pell Grant recipients
- Boren Scholars and Fellows Program (NSEP): A nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination
Students will be accommodated in hotels, or hostels organized by OU staff.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, schedule an appointment with program advisor Brittany Donnelly to move on to Phase 2! For general information, contact Brittany Donnelly at Brittany.firstname.lastname@example.org or Paulo Moreira at Paulo.email@example.com.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|