- This is an experiential learning program that takes place in the botanical and pleasure gardens built by universities, cardinals, scholars and leading families of the Renaissance
- We walk the botanical gardens of Padua, Lucca and Florence to trace the fascinating history of medicinal and economically-important plants
- We experience the Renaissance villas of Florence and Tivoli where painters, sculptors, architects and poets gathered together during the great flowering of Western culture
- We tour the Aboca headquarters and historic herb museum and library on the history of medicine, pharmacy and holistic healing in San Sepolcro
- Classes are held in the gardens and in beautiful Arezzo in the heart of Tuscany
- This program is OPEN to ALL MAJORS! We start by exploring the first Western botanical garden in Padua established to train physicians from the Venetian medical school. We then travel to Lucca, a medieval walled city and the hometown of Giacomo Puccini, the most famous Italian opera composer. Lucca’s thick walls are today a raised path for joggers and cyclists encircling the city.
Once established in Arezzo, we will be traveling to garden sites around the region twice a week: One of our three daytrips to Florence will be to visit the Medici villas at Fiesole, Castello and Petraia that show a century’s evolution of garden design. We’ll also visit the Galileo Museum, La Specola Natural History Museum and Boboli Gardens. The Roman Emperor Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli outside Rome provided statuary for Cardinal d’Este’s villa a thousand years later. Villa Lante in Bagnaia has been called the most beautiful garden in Italy. Bomarzo or The Sacred Wood near Viterbo and Villa Lante is the first ‘monster garden’ sculpted in 1552.
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements
, you will also be required to have the following:
- 2.0 GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
Monday,July 8 - Friday August 1, 2019
- 3 credit hours of Upper Div Western Civilization Gen Ed: LA4743 Garden History
- 3 credit hours of Upper Div Social Science Gen Ed: GEOG 3253 Environmental Sustainability
We will be in hotels in Padua and Arezzo. The hotels have breakfast included. Meal vouchers for an assortment of Arezzo restaurants will be provided for 17 lunches/dinners.
Estimated Program Fee (as of 10/02/2018)*: $3,275 (includes housing, in-country transportation for program-related activities, admission and entry fees to museums and gardens, all breakfasts, partial meals, excursions and activities, tour guidance).
A non-refundable $500 deposit* is due by February 24, 2019
The remainder of $ 2,775 is due in equal payments of $925 on March 1st, April 1st, and May 1st.
Payments may be made by check, cash or card to Emalee Lemke, Sarkeys Energy Center 510D, 325-6524
Airfare (approx. $1,000 - $1,500)
Additional meals: $200-300
Tuition and fees for 6 credit hours at your usual rate (in- or out-of-state). Tuition credits may be banked from your 2018/19 Flat Rate. Academic Excellence Fees and College Program and Technology Fees will still apply.
University fees: ($ 300):
- Education Abroad application fee: $50 (Bursar-billed)
- University of Oklahoma risk management fee: $50 (Bursar-billed)
- College of Architecture Study Abroad Fee: $100**
- Dept of Geography and Environmental Sustainability Study Abroad Fee: $ 100***
The program fee will be finalized by October 30th, 2018. Should the program not reach the required 15 participants, all deposits will be refunded.
**College of Architecture and AGES fees are used specifically to purchase airline tickets for the OU faculty members leading the program.
There are a number of scholarships
available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, please email either Professor Hoagland (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Woodfin (email@example.com) to arrange a meeting to discuss the program and answer any specific questions you may have.
Click the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this page to begin your application at any time.