College of A&S - Visions of Italy
Arezzo, Italy; Florence, Italy; Rome, Italy; Siena, Italy (Outgoing Program)
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10002OU Sponsoring College:
|College of Arts & Sciences|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Type:||Center Housing, Hotel or Guesthouse|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Karen Elmore|
Location: Arezzo, Italy
Faculty Leaders: David Anderson, English and Wilfred McClay, History/Classics and Letters
Housing: Hotels, apartments, or OU accommodations in Arezzo, shared with at least one other OU student
Excursions: Rome, Siena, Florence
June 2 Depart U.S.
June 3 Arrive in Rome
July 1 Check-out of housing in Arezzo
July 2 Date most students will fly home
- ENGL 4013 Shakespeare in Italy (Anderson)
- CAS 3900 The Lure of Eden: American Writers and Artists in Italy, 1760-2000 - 3 credits (McClay)
Program DesignOn this new program, students spend time in Rome, Florence and Siena, using the OU Center in the lovely Tuscan city of Arezzo as their base. Classes will be held Monday through Thursday, although some Fridays may be used for out-of-class activities. A three-day weekend is open for independent student travel during the program. Details will be in the 2018 Visions of Italy Information Sheet to be linked here by November 1, 2017.
- 2.5 OU cumulative GPA at the time of application
- Passport valid through six months after return from study abroad or a receipt from a recent passport application (U.S. passport application)
- One faculty recommendation, submitted electronically as part of the application process
- Attendance at a Study Abroad 101 session
- Shared occupancy hotel rooms, apartments or OU accommodations in Arezzo, shared with at least one other program participant
- Half board - breakfast and dinner included in price for days in Arezzo.
Money MattersIt is each applicant's responsibility to share information about cost with family members who need to know and understand how the payment system works.
The 2018 Visions Italy Estimated Budget will help students compare programs and to plan for study abroad. It will be linked here by November 15, 2017. Costs are subject to change based on the currency exchange rate and the number of participants. All Arts and Sciences study abroad programs require a $200 non-refundable deposit at the time of application. This is not an application fee, and is deducted from the program payment due if accepted. If not accepted, the amount is refunded.
There are a number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list.
- Presidential International Travel Fellowships, an OU need-based scholarship for airfare.
- CASH - College of Arts and Sciences Study Abroad Scholarships available here
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award open to PELL Grant recipients. Applicants may apply by October 3, 2017 for summer early announcement awards or by March 6, 2018 for the second round of consideration for summer.
Get StartedWhen applications are open, an "Apply Now" button shows at the top and bottom of this brochure. Be sure to schedule an appointment with Karen Elmore, Director, College of Arts and Sciences International Programs and attend a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad. Both are required.
A College of Arts and Sciences Faculty-led Program
Karen L. Elmore, Director
Arts and Sciences International Programs
210 Ellison Hall
For an advising appointment, go to: http://iadvise.ou.edu/casip
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2018||03/08/2018 **||Rolling Admission||06/03/2018||07/01/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed