|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10002OU Sponsoring College:
|College of Arts & Sciences|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Karen Elmore|
This program is full and no longer accepting applications for 2018.
HES Spring Break in Rio – Physical Activity and Aging
- Earn 3 OU credits while spending spring break in Rio de Janeiro
- Use spring semester flat-rate tuition
- Learn about the aging process in a unique location
- Enjoy field trips, excursions, discussions and interactive class lectures
- Experience the culture of Brazil through fascinating activities
2018 Projected DatesMarch 17 Depart Oklahoma City
March 24 Depart Brazil
March 25 Arrive back in the U.S.
Faculty LeadersMichael Bemben, David Ross Boyd Professor, C.B. Hudson Presidential Professor and Chair, Health and Exercise Science
Debra Bemben, President's Associates Presidential Professor, Health and Exercise Science
This new program offers the opportunity to spend spring break at the University of Oklahoma’s center in Rio de Janeiro, studying physical activity and aging in the cultural context of Brazil. Because of the short time abroad, the course will meet 3 times during spring semester prior to the departure date. The time in Brazil combines lectures and local excursions to places of cultural interest. The 2018 HES Spring Break in Rio Information Sheet contains more details and will be linked here by September 1.
Application RequirementsIn addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, applicants must also have:
- a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application
- one recommendation, submitted electronically as part of the application process
- a passport valid for six months after the program ends (U.S. passport application). All program participants must upload a copy of their main passport page before the December 7th deadline. There is an official passport application office in Oklahoma Memorial Union.
- Attendance at a Study Abroad 101 meeting
- Advising from the College of Arts and Sciences International Programs Office
AcademicsAll participants will enroll in the three-credit hour course: HES 4863 - Physical Activity and Aging.
Applicants should check with an academic adviser about credit toward degree before paying any deposits for the program.
Because of the short time abroad, this course meets three times during the spring semester before leaving for Brazil. At the time of publication, the class times were:
- 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Friday March 02, 2018, Rm 102 SFC
- 9:00 – 12:00 p.m. Saturday March 03, 2018, Rm 102 SFC
- 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Friday March 09, 2018, Rm 102 SFC
Health ConsiderationsThe World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are crucial resources for travelers heading abroad. All participants need to review the CDC page for Brazil and take responsibility for their own health well in advance of the program departure. Some vaccinations require more than one shot over a period of time, or must be administered a certain number of days before possible exposure. Participants whose health professionals recommend vaccinations need to plan for them to ensure adequate preparation time. Goddard Health Center on campus can administer most vaccinations for study abroad.
Money Matters2018 HES Spring Break in Rio Estimated Budget
Flat-rate Tuition: This program falls under flat-rate tuition for spring. Applicants should note that some fees are not included in flat-rate tuition and will appear on the bursar's bill for spring 2018 semester. Questions about flat-rate tuition should be directed to the bursar's office.
Payments: Students with completed applications will be emailed and directed to submit a $500 non-refundable deposit, which guarantees a spot in the program. The deadline for that deposit is December 14, 2017. The remaining $1475 program fee is split into two payments of $738 and $737, which are due on February 19th and March 5th. The program fee has to be paid in full to Arts and Sciences International Programs by the second deadline.
ScholarshipsThere are also a number of scholarships available for study abroad students, including but not limited to the following:
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - All participants receive an automatic $500 PITF scholarship for this program, and may complete the application to apply for more based on need. Deadline is December 1 for spring break programs.
- CASH - OU academic and study abroad scholarship hub opens October 1, 2017. Arts and Sciences study abroad scholarships are located in CASH.
Deadlines & Other Pertinent InformationJanuary 19, 2018 - 4-6 p.m. - Location TBD- 1st mandatory pre-departure Orientation to begin the Brazilian visa application. Participants must bring a passport, a valid driver's license, one professional "2x2" Passport photo, a valid debit/credit card, and a laptop computer.
TBD: 2nd Mandatory pre-departure orientation
Get StartedWhen the application is open, an "Apply Now" button appears at the top and bottom of this page.
A College of Arts and Sciences Faculty-led Program
Karen L. Elmore, Director
Arts and Sciences International Programs
210 Ellison Hall
For an advising appointment, go to: http://iadvise.ou.edu/casip
|Dates / Deadlines:|