Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||College Sponsored||OU Sponsoring College:||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Type:||Apartments, Hotel or Guesthouse, Student Dormitories|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Karen Elmore|
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 2/25/2018
Location: Arezzo, Italy
Faculty Leaders: Jane Wickersham and Melissa Stockdale, Department of History
Housing: Hotels, apartments, or OU accommodations in Arezzo, shared with at least one other OU student
Excursions: Rome, Padua, Venice, Florence, Asiago
July 1 Depart U.S.
July 2 Arrive in Rome
July 31 Program ends; check out of hotel in Padua
- HIST 3120 War and Fascism in the Italian "Nation" - 3 credits (Wickersham) (Gen Ed Western Civilization)
- HIST 3153 The Great War 1914 - 1918 (Stockdale) (Gen Ed Western Civilization)
Students begin the program with time in Rome, then travel by train to the lovely Tuscan city of Arezzo, the base for the most of the program. On-site support is provided by the OU in Arezzo staff, who arrange the day trips and provide orientation for all program participants. Travel to Florence, Padua and Venice is included in the program design. There is a guaranteed open three-day weekend for independent travel built into the program. Details are in the 2018 War and Fascism Information Sheet.
- 2.5 OU cumulative GPA at the time of application
- Passport valid through six months after return from study abroad or a receipt from a recent passport application (U.S. Passport Application)
- One faculty recommendation, to be submitted electronically as part of the application process
- Attendance at a Study Abroad 101 session
- Shared occupancy hotel rooms, apartments or OU accommodations in Arezzo, shared with at least one other program participant
- Half board - breakfast and dinner included in program cost for days in Arezzo; breakfasts only in Rome and Padua
It is each applicant's responsibility to share information about cost with family members who need to know and understand how the payment system works.
The 2018 Italy War Fascism Estimated Budget will help students compare programs and plan for study abroad. It will be linked here by November 15, 2017. Costs are subject to change based on the currency exchange rate and the number of participants. All Arts and Sciences study abroad programs require a $200 non-refundable deposit at the time of application. This is not an application fee, and is deducted from the program payment due if accepted. If not accepted, the amount is refunded. Instructions on how to pay deposits and fees is included in the application materials.
There are a number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list.
- Presidential International Travel Fellowships, an OU need-based scholarship for airfare.
- CASH - College of Arts and Sciences study abroad scholarships are a part of C.A.S.H. for the first time this year.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award open to PELL Grant recipients. Applicants may apply by October 3, 2017 for summer early announcement awards or by March 6, 2018 for the second round of consideration for summer.
Get StartedClick on an "Apply Now" button at the top or bottom of this brochure. Be sure to schedule an appointment with Karen Elmore, Director, College of Arts and Sciences International Programs and attend a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad. Both are required.
A College of Arts and Sciences Faculty-led Program
Karen L. Elmore, Director
Arts and Sciences International Programs
210 Ellison Hall
For an advising appointment, go to: http://iadvise.ou.edu/casip
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2018||02/25/2018 **||Rolling Admission||07/02/2018||07/31/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.