Galapagos Institute for the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS)
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||Affiliate Programs||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Housing Type:||Host Family||Minimum GPA:||3.0|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Zeeshan Malik||University Name:||University of San Francisco de Quito|
|Language Category:||Language Category B||Study Level:||Undergraduate|
- The Galapagos Academic Institute for the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS) is a branch of USFQ in Quito.
- The Galapagos Islands are located off the west coast of Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean.
- GAIAS students take courses at USFQ’s main campus in Cumbayá during the first month and then switch to the GAIAS campus in the Galapagos for the remainder of the program.
- 3.0 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- Academic Requirements:
- 1 College-Level General Biology Course (Tracks 1 & 2)
- 1 Ecology Course (Tracks 1 & 2)
- 1 Marine Biology Class (Track 2 Only)
- 2 College-Level Spanish Courses (Track 3 Only)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from any OU Professors
- Host University Application
- Student Visa (Must travel to consulate prior to departure)
Exchange students have the opportunity to choose between three different academic tracks:
1. Evolution, Ecology, and Conversation
2. Marine Ecology
3. People, Politics and the Environment.
All courses are taught in English. It is possible for students to take courses from all three tracks as long as there are no date/time conflicts with other classes. Students are also required to take a Spanish conversation class (1 credit) at the beginner or intermediate levels during the first module.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at USFQ and their OU equivalents click the following link: University of San Francisco de Quito - Course Equivalency Information.
Fall Semester: August - December
Spring Semester: January - May
Current Program Dates
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and program/housing/meals/living expenses to USFQ.
Use this Budget Estimate for the Galapagos Institute for the Arts and Sciences to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs! Click here to read GAIAS' Refund Policy.
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February so apply early for Spring programs!
Students stay with carefully screened host families in Cumbayá (Quito) for the first module and with host families in San Cristobal Island for the remainder of the semester. Host families are required to provide students with their own bedroom (bathroom may be shared), Wifi internet access, and two meals per day (breakfast and dinner). During overnight excursions, students stay in hostels or hotels.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Ecuador to move on to Phase 2!
Past Student Experience
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Advice for study Abroad
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Latin America
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.