Sapporo, Japan (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Housing Type:||Student Dormitories||Minimum GPA:||3.0|
|Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Japanese||Study Abroad Adviser:||Wyatt Schmitz|
|University Name:||Hokkaido University||Language Category:||Language Category B|
- Take English coursework in a variety of subjects. No previous Japanese language experience is required!
- Located in Sapporo on the island of Hokkaido, Hokkaido University's campus has been voted as the most beautiful in Japan
- Participate in traditional and contemporary Japanese cultural activities
- 3.0 Combined Retained GPA
- Two completed years of undergraduate coursework prior to participation
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- Two Recommendation Letters from OU Professors
- No more than one letter from an OU Japanese language instructor, if applicable
- Host University Application
- Includes a Japanese evaluation to be filled out by a Japanese language instructor, if applicable
- Visa for semester/academic year
Students can take courses in diverse disciplines through the Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP). To view the courses offered, search the HUSTEP Curriculum Fall Semester and HUSTEP Curriculum Spring Semester.
OU students who are majoring or minoring in Japanese can take supplemental Japanese language and culture courses. To learn more, please visit the International Student Center's Japanese Language Support page. To see a list of Japanese grammar and language courses available at Hokkaido University, please see the Japanese Language Course Guide.
Previously equated courses can be found here: Hokkaido University - Course Equivalency Information.
Fall Semester: Mid September - Mid February
Spring Semester: Late March - Mid August
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Hokkaido University.
Use this Hokkaido University Budget Sheet to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - a need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - a nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February, so apply early for Spring programs! For more information, please contact the University of Oklahoma's Boren Award Scholarship Advisor.
- Asia Scholarships - a list of known study abroad scholarships for Asian destinations
Hokkaido University has 642 rooms available in university-owned student housing. There are six distinct dormitory options located within and near Sapporo campus. Prices vary depending on a student's housing preference.
Short-Term Homestays (for up to five nights) are available for students to live with a Japanese family and gain insight into the culture, customs, and lifestyle in Japan. These are offered a no cost, however students must cover transportation expenses to and from the family's residence.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Hokkaido University to move on to Phase 2!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.