|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Program Type:||OU Study Center||Language of Instruction:||English, Italian|
|Housing Type:||Apartments, Host Family||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Italian||Study Abroad Adviser:||Bridgitte Castorino|
|University Name:||University of Oklahoma||Language Category:||Language Category B|
At OU's Italian Center students with no to early intermediate knowledge of Italian are provided with an introductory experience of Italian language and culture while taking a variety of OU coursework. At the cradle of western civilization, students can enjoy the Mediterranean atmosphere and study an abundance of ancient art objects close by, while spending a good time with fellow Sooners in a small, quiet, and secure town, untouched by mass tourism.
The University of Oklahoma's Signature Study Abroad Program
OUA's student center is located on the central Corso Italia in a renovated medieval Palazzo. There Sooners can relax in the student lounge, prepare and enjoy meals in the kitchen, work and communicate in a cutting edge PC/Mac lab, and attend classes in beautiful classrooms equipped with modern technology for effective and versatile instruction. This building also houses the administrative offices and the apartment of our Faculty in Residence - allowing for close interaction with and easy access to the OU professor who accompanies the students throughout the academic year.
Arezzo Program Highlights:
- Location: Arezzo is a historic town located in the Italian region of Tuscany, and home to OU's first permanent international presence. Florence and Siena are only a short train or bus ride away. With it's amanageable size, friendly people, and many events and festivities throughout the year this beautiful town is the ideal homebase for all Sooners looking for a safe, diverse, and culturally enriching experience overseas!
- Academics: You will be taking OU courses taught by OU professors at OU's campus in Arezzo.
- Cost: A semester in Arezzo is comparable to one at OU.
- Housing: Exchange students will live in OUA Apartments or homestays. See below for more information on housing!
OU in Arezzo Spring Semester 2016 application deadline will be September 20, 2015!
OUA offers Fall, Spring, Summer, and year long programs! OUA program dates are the same as those on the OU academic calendar for the Norman Campus. Small deviations may occur to arrange for better arrival or departure times.
Because OUA is the Italian Center of the University of Oklahoma, there is no need to transfer international credits - it's like taking classes in Norman! OUA offers a wide and changing variety of OU coursework that is geared toward a general student audience and taught by OU professors. Many OUA courses are applicable towards the General Education curriculum. All courses will be graded on an A-F scale and will be factored into the student's GPA.
Professor Ola Fincke will be the faculty in residence at OUA for the 2015-2016 academic year.
Italian language & Culture
- All OUA students will take one Italian language course at their respective level or the Italian Cultural Literacy course. Students coming in with little or no Italian will take 5 hours of ITAL 1115 or 1225 OR the 3-credit course MLLL 1393: Italian Cultural Literacy. More advanced students will take 3 hours of ITAL 2113, 2223, or 3073.
AHI 3303 Renaissance Art in Italy (Gen-Ed Western Civ), taught by our Director of Italian Programs, Kirk Duclaux
BIOL 2103 Everyday Evolution (Gen-Ed Natural Science), Faculty-in-Residence Dr. Fincke
IAS 3003 Comtemporary Environmental Challenges in a Global Society, Faculty-in-Residence Dr. Fincke
Here is a list of OUA internships offered: OUA Internship Opportunities 2015.pdf
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- Completetion of Online Application
- 1 Recommendation Letter
CostsSpending a semester in Arezzo is comparable in price to spending a semester on campus. The most variable costs are expenses for entertainment and weekend travels. Students can substantially reduce overall cost by controlling those two factors. Your study abroad adviser will walk you through anticipated expenses for your Arezzo study abroad experience.
OUA Budget Work Sheet Fall 15.pdf
There are a number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Lobeck Taylor Family Foundation Scholarship - for OUA students studying abroad for a semester or year
- Stuart Family Foundation Scholarship - for OUA students studying abroad for a semester or year
- Dean Suzette Grillot Scholarship - for any students studying abroad at OU in Arezzo
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell Grant recipients
- Italian Heritage Scholarship
HousingStudents will be accommodated in comfortable, centrally located OUA apartments in or near the historic center of Arezzo. The Director of Student Affairs in Italy locates and approve all prospective housing accommodations for incoming OU students. She will contact incoming students for the semester programs to inquire about housing preferences. When completing the housing questionnaire, students should consider whether they would like to live with other American students or to take the plunge in improving their Italian skills by living with Italians.
The map below shows the location of the OUA Study Center in the historic heart of Arezzo. Click on the map for a larger version on Arezzo's tourist portal.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2015-2016||03/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||08/24/2015||05/13/2016|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed