|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10002OU Sponsoring College:
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Type:||Host Family, Hotel or Guesthouse|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Monica Goodwin||Study Level:||Graduate, Undergraduate|
Summer 2018 Highlights
- Travel throughout Peru with OU professors and other OU students
- Earn 6 Upper Division General Education credits
- Use your banked hours and save on tuition/fees
- PITF Airfare scholarship GUARANTEED for ALL Journey Program participants
- Applications open now!
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
- ISIC Card
Journey programs are designed to fulfill General Education requirements while traveling throughout a country with OU professors and students. For this program, you will visit several important cities and sites within Peru.
For the Summer 2018 program, you will spend time in the three major geographies of Peru. The program starts on the coast in Lima, then moves to the Andes Mountains, including Macchu Picchu and Cuzco. Finally the program ends with a stay in the Amazon rainforest.
Journey to Latin America: Peru will offer the following two Upper Division courses, both of which are approved for General Education credit. You are required to take both courses in order to participate in this program.
- IAS 3940 - Journey to Latin America: History and Politics of Peru (Professor Charles Kenney, Gen-Ed Western Civ)
- IAS 3940 - Journey to Latin America: Indigenous Peoples in Contmeporary Peru (Professor Laurel Smith, Gen-Ed Non-Western Culture)
June 3, 2018 - July 3, 2018 (dates may vary)
The budget estimate for the 2018 Journey to Latin America: Peru program is below; this budget does not include personal expenses.
- OU Tuition & Fees - normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid, scholarships and/or banked hours may apply)
- Program Fee - $3700 (includes housing, in-country travel, and most meals)
- 1st payment = $500 nonrefundable deposit due with program acceptance by March 16, 2018
- 2nd payment = $1600 nonrefundable program fee due March 30, 2018
- 3rd payment = $1600 nonrefundable program fee balance due April 20, 2018
- Airfare - ~$1200 (PITF scholarship of at least $500 awarded to all Journey to Latin America: Peru participants)
- ISIC Card - $28 (more information and guidance will be provided in Phase 3)
- Education Abroad Application Fee - $50 (charged to your Bursar account)
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - $500 award guaranteed with application; can apply for up to full cost of airfare
- CASH - OU academic and study abroad scholarship hub
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
Students will live with a host family for part of the time in Lima, and in hotels or other similar lodging throughout the rest of the programs.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants with complete applications will be emailed and directed to submit their nonrefundable $500 deposit, which guarantees their spot in the program. The online application includes things to read, sign, and complete. You will need one letter of recommendation from a professor who has graded you, and you will need to answer three essay questions:
- Why have you applied to this specific study abroad program?
- What are 2-3 goals you’ve set for your study abroad experience and how will you accomplish them?
- What are 2-3 challenges you expect to face abroad and how will you overcome them?
Your Study Abroad Adviser for Journey to Latin America: Peru is Monica Goodwin. Please contact Monica by email if you have any questions about this program.
This study experience will involve some rugged travel and hiking. Each student should consider his/her own physical fitness as well as his/her tolerance to extreme heat and non-standard accommodation. Additionally, students may need to get vaccinations and medications prior to departure. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure his/her routine vaccinations are up-to-date and to inquire whether there are recommended and/or required vaccinations or medications for the country/countries he/she will visit (including any countries he/she will visit which are not part of the study abroad program’s itinerary). To find comprehensive information regarding international travel, including recommended or required vaccinations and medications, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. We recommend students visit a healthcare provider and acquire any necessary vaccinations and medications at least two (2) months prior to departure. Goddard Health Center (on the OU campus) is a good place for students to acquire the appropriate vaccinations and medications.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2018||02/25/2018 **||Rolling Admission||06/03/2018||07/01/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed