Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg
Heidelberg, Germany (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||English, German|
|Housing Type:||Student Dormitories||Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||German, Polish, Romanian, Russian|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Monica Goodwin||University Name:||Ruprecht-Karls University|
|Language Category:||Language Category B||Study Level:||Graduate, Law, Undergraduate|
- Heidelberg University is an elite, Nobel Prize award winning, and research-oriented academic institution
- OU exchange students can take a free pre-semester German language course before the start of each semester
- The University offers an "early-out" option so that OU students can study at Germany for the fall semester and return to OU before the start of the spring semester
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from any OU professors
- Host University Application in Phase 3
- Residence Permit
Exchange students may take any regular courses, provided they have the appropriate academic and language background. Heidelberg offers courses in a variety of subject areas, including: Biosciences, Economics, History, Humanities, Life Sciences and Philosophy.
Course Search Engine
Students can also participate in Heidelberg University’s intensive German language program. Click here to learn more about language courses.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at Heidelberg University and their OU equivalents click the following link: Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg - Course Equivalency Information
Fall Semester (Wintersemester): October - January
Spring Semester (Sommersemester): March - July
Click here to see important dates
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Heidelberg University.
Use this Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg Budget Estimate to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) - an undergraduate scholarship for students studying abroad at a German university
- Baden-Württemberg Foundation Stipendium - a scholarship for exchange students studying at universities in the Baden-Württemberg state in Germany
Studentenwerk, an independent organization that provides the student population with various services, administers well-equipped student residences for Heidelberg University.
Exchange students are guaranteed rooms. Students can choose from a variety of options, from single rooms to shared flats. For more information about accommodations, click here.
If you decide not to live in these accommodations, you will be responsible for your own housing arrangements.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg to move on to Phase 2!
Photos by Mary Bowman, Spring 2016
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.