Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg
Heidelberg, Germany (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||English, German|
|Housing Type:||Student Dormitories||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||German, Polish, Romanian, Russian||Study Abroad Adviser:||Jennifer Grover|
|University Name:||Ruprecht-Karls University||Language Category:||Language Category B|
|Study Level:||Graduate, Law, Undergraduate|
- Heidelberg, Germany's oldest university town, has a picturesque location on the banks of the Neckar River.
- Heidelberg University, an elite, Nobel Prize award winning, and research-oriented academic institution, is internationally renowned for their life science programs!
- OU exchange students can take a free pre-semester German language course, worth 8 ECTS, before the start of each semester!
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from OU professors
- Host University Application
- Residence Permit
The majors offered at this university cover a wide range of academic areas. Exchange students may take regular courses, provided they have the appropriate academic background, or German language courses for non-native speakers. You can search for classes through their course search engine or their course catalog by department. Click here to learn more about the German language courses. Students who take the pre-semester German language course and the semester-long intensive German language course, worth 18 ECTS, are guaranteed to be done before their winter break (starting around Dec 22). Unfortunately, engineering and agriculture are not offered at this university.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at Heidelberg University and their OU equivalents click the following link: Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg - Course Equivalency Information.
Fall Semester (Wintersemester): October - January
Spring Semester (Sommersemester): March - July
Click here to see important dates
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees and insurance to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Heidelberg University.
Use this Budget Estimate for Heidelberg University to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) - an undergraduate scholarship for students studying abroad at a German university
- Baden-Württemberg Foundation Stipendium - a scholarship for exchange students studying at universities in the Baden-Württemberg state in Germany
The Studentenwerk, an independent organization that provides the student population with various services, administers well-equipped student residences for Heidelberg University. Due to the cooperation between Heidelberg's International Office and Studentenwerk, exchange students are guaranteed rooms and they usually stay in flats, single rooms, or they share flats. Rooms are reserved for six months starting October 1 or April 1. Click here to learn more about the accommodation options.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Germany to move on to Phase 2!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|