Ruhr University of Bochum
Bochum, Germany (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||German|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||4 Semesters||Housing Type:||Student Dormitories|
|Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish||Study Abroad Adviser:||Monica Goodwin|
|University Name:||University of Bochum||Language Category:||Language Category C|
|Study Level:||Graduate, Undergraduate|
- The Ruhr-Universität Bochum, one of the largest universities in Germany, is on its way to becoming one of the leading European universities of the 21st century.
- The town of Bochum is located in the Ruhr area, which is one of the most densely populated regions of Europe.
- Part-time jobs and internships are available for exchange students.
- 4 Semesters of College-Level German
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from an OU German professor and another OU professor
- Host University Application in Phase 3
- Residence Permit
All areas of study, except Psychology and the following Master’s programs: Human Rights, Humanitarian Assistance, Development Management, and European Culture and Economy, are open to exchange students. All undergraduate classes are only taught in German.
Search the Course Catalogue
Exchange students can also take German language courses at the Center for Foreign Language Acquisition.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum and their OU equivalents click the following link: Ruhr University of Bochum - Course Equivalency Information
Fall Semester (Wintersemester): October - January
Spring Semester (Sommersemester): April - July
Click here to see important dates.
Since this program is a University Exchange program, you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Ruhr University of Bochum.
Use this Ruhr University of Bochum Budget Estimate to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) - an undergraduate scholarship for students studying abroad at a university
The International Office reserves residence hall rooms for exchange students. The rooms are furnished and the costs for gas, electricity, heating and Internet are included in the rent.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Ruhr University of Bochum to move on to Phase 2!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2017||09/18/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.