|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||English, Japanese|
|Housing Type:||Student Dormitories||Minimum GPA:||2.0|
|Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Japanese||Study Abroad Adviser:||Wyatt Schmitz|
|Language Category:||Language Category B||Study Level:||Undergraduate|
- Take classes in English and/or in Japanese
- Program includes an "APU Buddy" program, local excursions, and cultural activities
- Located in Beppu, Japan, a city famous for its abundant and therapeutic hot springs
- No previous Japanese language required!
This program is ideal for International or Asian Studies, Japanese, Business, and Environmental Studies majors or minors!
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from OU professors
- No more than 1 from a Japanese language instructor, if applicable
- Host University Application
- Includes a Japanese evaluation form to be filled out by a Japanese language instructor, if applicable
- Visa for semester/academic year
Due to the large number of English speakers and the number of classes taught in English, this destination does not require a high-level of Japanese language.
Students can take courses in one of the two following APU Colleges:
- The College of Asia Pacific Studies (visit the APS website): Coursework in the subjects of International Relations & Peace Studies, Culture, Society & Media, Environment & Development, and Hospitality & Tourism. View the APS Curriculum to see courses offered.
- The College of International Management (visit the APM website): Coursework in the subjects of Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Strategic Management and Organization, and Innovation and Economics. View the APM Curriculum to see courses offered.
For a list of courses previously taken by OU students, please click on the following link: Asia Pacific University - Course Equivalency Information.
Note: semester-based regular courses last 14 weeks with each individual class lasting 95 minutes and taking place 1 time per week.; quarter-based regular courses last 7 weeks with each individual class lasting 95 minutes and taking place 2 times per week.
- Fall Semester: Mid September - Early February
- Spring Semester: Late March - Early August
All semester and full-year reciprocal exchange students are guaranteed a place in AP House, which is the on-campus residence hall. Rooms are equipped with a refrigerator, air conditioning, private washroom, bedding and telephone. Single and shared rooms are available. Japanese-style rooms and a communal Japanese-style bath are located on the ground floor. You will have the option of cooking in the dormitory communal kitchen or eating at the campus cafeteria. AP House has a 24-hour computer room with Internet access. You can bring your own laptop or use one of the 1,300 computers located across the campus.
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Asia Pacific University.
Use this Asia Pacific University Budget Sheet to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
You can also visit Asia Pacific University's Online Financial Guide.
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally-competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - A nationally-competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February so apply early for Spring programs! For more information, please contact the University of Oklahoma's Boren Award Scholarship Advisor.
- Asia Scholarships - a list of known study abroad scholarships for Asian destinations
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Asia Pacific University to move on to Phase 2!
Student Life and Extracurricular Activities at APU
APU Program Guide (For Accepted Students)
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed