Beijing Normal University
Beijing, China (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||Chinese, English|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||2 Semesters||Housing Type:||Student Dormitories|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Chinese|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Shanna Vincent||Language Category:||Language Category C|
- Beijing Normal University is a top university in China and known internationally for their Chinese Language programs
- Live in Beijing, a cultural and political center of China as well as the capital city
- This is the most popular program in China for OU students!
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- CHIN 1225 or higher complete before study abroad semester
- 2 Recommendation Letters:
- 1 from any OU professor
- 1 from an OU Chinese language professor
- Host University Application
Most OU students take only Chinese language and culture courses at Beijing Normal University, although there are some English-Taught Courses (.xls) available each semester! It is possible for you to take regular courses in Chinese but a very high level of fluency is required to do this (level 6 on the HSK test).
To see courses previously taken by OU students at Beijing Normal University and their OU equivalents click the following link: Beijing Normal University - Course Equivalency Information.
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Beijing Normal University.
Use this Beijing Normal University Budget Estimate to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February so apply early for Spring programs!
- Confucius Institute Scholarship for Chinese Studies - provides funding for one semester or year in China studying Chinese language
- Study in China Scholarship - awarded by the OU Institute for US-China Issues
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for study in East Asia
You will live in one of several international student dorms; you can rank your preferences on the application in Phase 3. Use this comparison chart of the different housing and cost options when budgeting and ranking housing. Most if not all dormitories have elevators; classroom buildings do not.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Beijing Normal University to move on to Phase 2!
OU Student Blog: John in China
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: China
Beijing City Tourism Website
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Spring||2018||09/22/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed