This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Catholic University of Uruguay
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish||Program Type:||University Exchange|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||5 Semesters||Housing Type:||Host Family|
|Minimum GPA:||3.0||Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Spanish|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Loy Macari||University Name:||Catholic University of Uruguay|
|Language Category:||Language Category C|
- Location: The Universidad Católica del Uruguay is in Montevideo, Uruguay. See the map below for more info!
- Academics: Students will take all classes in Spanish. See more below!
- Cost: This is a University Exchange program, meaning you pay OU tuition/fees to the Bursar. Beyond this, it is possible for University of Oklahoma students to attend as fee-paying students under a direct-enroll model. You will pay on-site costs (housing, meals, etc) to the University or local entities. See below for more information on cost!
- Housing: Students stay with host families. More info below!
All classes are taught in Spanish. The more Spanish coursework a student has already completed prior to the program, the more curriculum options that student will have. Upon arrival, all students take a language placement exam. If the score indicates a lower proficiency, the student will be restricted to a specific semester track that includes Spanish language instruction, the history of Uruguay, Uruguayan literature, and community service. Students with a score indicating higher language proficiency may take standard university courses with other Uruguayans. There is a pre-term Intensive Spanish Class option that meet 2 weeks before the regular tem and cost $330.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at Catholic University of Uruguay and their OU equivalents, click the following link: Catholic University of Uruguay - Course Equivalency Information.
Credit Equivalency Policy for Spanish Section of MLLL
- First semester (they call it 2nd): August to December (Intensive Spanish Class: July 22-Aug.2)
- Second semester (they call it 1st): March to July (Intensive Spanish Class: Feb. 24-March 7)
- Students may attend for one semester or one academic year.
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Gilman International Scholarship
- Education Abroad Scholarships link
- 3.0 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 5 or more semesters of college-level Spanish
2 Recommendation Letters:
- 1 from an OU Spanish language professor
- 1 from any OU professor
- Host University Application
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser listed at the top of this page to move on to Phase 2!'
Past Student Experience
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Advice for study Abroad
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Latin America
View Universidad Católica del Uruguay in a larger map
|What has study abroad done for you?|
|Taught me spanish and gave me courage and confidence i never knew I had.|
|— Nicole Bisby, Spring 2011|
|Read what others have said about this program.|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
Indicates that deadline has passed