Catholic University of Uruguay
Montevideo, Uruguay (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||5 Semesters||Housing Type:||Host Family|
|Minimum GPA:||3.0||Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Spanish|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Alex Spellis||University Name:||Catholic University of Uruguay|
|Language Category:||Language Category C||Study Level:||Graduate, Undergraduate|
- The Universidad Católica del Uruguay is in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- There is a pre-semester, two-week intensive Spanish language course that only costs $250!
- 3.0 Combined Retained GPA
- Five or more Semesters of College-Level Spanish
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 2 Recommendation Letters from an OU Spanish professor and another OU professor
- Host University Application
All classes are taught in Spanish. Upon arrival, all students take a language placement exam. If the score indicates a lower proficiency, the student will be restricted to a specific semester track that includes Spanish language instruction, the History of Uruguay, Uruguayan Literature, and Community Service. Click here to see more information about these courses. Students with a score indicating higher language proficiency may take standard university courses with other Uruguayans. There is a pre-term Intensive Spanish Class option that meets 2 weeks before the regular term and costs $250.
To see courses previously taken by OU students at the Catholic University of Uruguay and their OU equivalents click the following link: Catholic University of Uruguay - Course Equivalency Information.
Fall semester (they call it 2nd): August to December
Spring semester (they call it 1st): March to July
Click here to see important dates
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to the Catholic University of Uruguay.
Use this Catholic University of Uruguay Budget Estimate to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February so apply early for Spring programs!
- LIVFund - study abroad scholarship for Latin America. Two scholarships are awarded each month and they accept applications year-round.
Living with a host family is the best option for OU students. The families are screened and selected by the host university international office. Students interested in other lodging arrangements will be handled on a case by case situation, but approval is rarely given for independent apartment living. Please click here to read more information about housing.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Uruguay to move on to Phase 2!
Past Student Experience
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Advice for study Abroad
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Latin America
View Universidad Católica del Uruguay in a larger map
|What has study abroad done for you?|
|Taught me spanish and gave me courage and confidence i never knew I had.|
|— Laura Bisby, Spring 2011|
|Read what others have said about this program.|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
Indicates that deadline has passed