Minzu University of China
Beijing, China (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||University Exchange||Language of Instruction:||Chinese|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||2 Semesters||Housing Type:||Student Dormitories|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Non-English Language Learning Option(s):||Chinese, Korean, Tibetan, Uyghur|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Shanna Vincent||Language Category:||Language Category C|
|Study Level:||Graduate, Undergraduate|
- Minzu University of China, formerly the Central University for Nationalities, is the only university in China where all of China's 56 ethnic groups are represented in its faculty and student body
- Study the music, dance, and painting of Chinese minorities in addition to intensive Chinese language
- This is a great program for students interested in studying China's diverse ethnicities alongside intensive Chinese language
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- CHIN 1225 or higher complete before study abroad semester
- 2 Recommendation Letters:
- 1 from any OU professor
- 1 from an OU Chinese language professor
- Host University Application
With a high level of Chinese you can take classes in any major, although most students will study Chinese language and classes in English about China's ethnic minorities. Chinese language learners must take 20 hours of Chinese language courses each week (4 per day). Some Chinese language courses include Comprehensive Chinese, Chinese Listening, Oral Chinese, Chinese Culture, Chinese Characters, and others in addition to elective courses such as Chinese Calligraphy, Chinese Painting, Taichi, Paper-cutting, Chinese Knots, Chinese Minority Dance, and others. Students are welcome to take these free courses, 4 hours/per week. To see courses previously taken by OU students at Beijing Normal University and their OU equivalents click the following link: Minzu University - Course Equivalency Information.
Fall: mid-September to early January
Spring: mid-February to mid-June
Since this program is a University Exchange program you will pay OU tuition/fees to the OU Bursar and housing/meals/living expenses to Minzu University of China.
Use this Minzu University of China Budget Estimate to help you plan for study abroad and compare programs!
There are number of scholarships available for study abroad students. Below is a partial list to get you started!
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - need based scholarship for airfare
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Boren Award for International Study - nationally competitive award for study in an underrepresented destination. This scholarship has one application each year due in February so apply early for Spring programs!
- Confucius Institute Scholarship for Chinese Studies - provides funding for one semester or year in China studying Chinese language
- Study in China Scholarship - awarded by the OU Institute for US-China Issues
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for study in East Asia
Students live in one of two international student dorms (Minda or West Gate). The Minda Guest House (near the East Gate of campus) offers the following amenities: free wireless internet, central A/C, TV, telephone, bed, desk, wardrobe, electric kettle, mini-fridge, safe (for valuables). The West Gate International House offers similar amenities plus the following: broadband internet at a cost of RMB50/month.
Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps. Then, log in to http://iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad to schedule an appointment with the study abroad adviser for Minzu University of China to move on to Phase 2!
Photos and Resources
OU Education Abroad Pinterest Board: Asia
Beijing City Tourism Website
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2017-2018||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2017||02/19/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.