Presidential International Travel Fellowship
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Shanna Vincent||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
The Presidential International Travel Fellowship or "PITF" is a scholarship created by OU President David L. Boren to support international travel for study abroad.
Student awards will be given on a competitive basis to qualified students who demonstrate a high level of financial need. A selection committee meets each cycle to review PITF applications and award decisions are made based on the following selection criteria:
Demonstrated Financial Need of Student (60 points)
Type of Program (20 points)
Overall Strength of Application (20 points)
The highest rating a PITF applicant can receive from any one of the members of the selection committee is 100 points. Awards are made according to the total scores going from highest to lowest until all fellowship funds allocated for a specific term have been exhausted.
Selection committee members assign scores in each category according to the following guidelines:
- Demonstrated Need of Student: 0-60 points will be given to any student with demonstrated financial need. Students are encouraged to self-disclose recent changes in family income or other economic hardship circumstances that would not otherwise be evident based on the student’s estimated family contribution described in the OU-FAN.
- Type of Program: 20 points will be given to students participating on an OU faculty-led or Education Abroad priority program. Education Abroad priority programs include the following semester or year-long program options: OU in Arezzo, OU in Puebla, OU in Rio de Janeiro, OU in Buenos Aires, programs at Blaise Pascal University in Clermont-Ferrand or Vichy, the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, the University of Pretoria, Hebrew University, and any program in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Turkey. 15 points will be given to students attending a reciprocal exchange or direct enrollment program with an OU partner university. 10 points will be given to students attending an affiliate provider program. 5 points will be given to students attending an independent study abroad program, including programs unaffiliated with the University of Oklahoma or internships approved by an OU college. 0 points will be given if no program is specified.
- Overall Strength of Application: Each reviewer will assign between 0 and 20 points based on the overall strength of the PITF application, particularly the strength of the statement of purpose.
A student must have a program selected when applying for the PITF and awarded funds apply only to the program listed in the application. Changing programs and location later may result in a loss of scholarship funds.
This award has a required service component, which is aimed at involving the PITF recipient in the promotion and support of study abroad at OU after program completion or during their time abroad. PITF recipients will be able to complete this requirement by choosing one of the following options:
- Promote study abroad in classroom presentations or information sessions after you return
- Sharing study abroad information: students collect program data, complete questionnaires, take photos, and document their own international experience according to templates provided by Education Abroad
- Assist OU students in their consideration of and preparation for study abroad
- Participate in a classroom presentation while abroad promoting the University of Oklahoma
- Participate in programs that demonstrate OU's support of international students on campus, such as OU Cousins, International Awareness Week, assistance to new exchange students, etc.
Students are eligible to receive only one PITF during the course of their academic career at OU. The exception to this policy are “Journey” or other programs with automatic award amounts. Applicants receiving an automatic program-based award can apply for additional funding beyond the guaranteed awards given to endorsed participants by submitting the financial questionnaire within the application.
Due to the large number of applicants, late applications cannot be accepted.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|