|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||Journey Programs||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||No Language Preqrequisite||Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Bridgitte Castorino|
|Language Category:||Language Category B|
Summer 2015 Highlights
- Travel throughout Italy with OU professors and other OU students
- Earn 6 General Education credits (pending review by the Provost's office)
- Use your banked hours and save on tuition/fees!
- PITF Airfare scholarship GUARANTEED for ALL Journey Program participants!
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
Journey programs are designed to fulfill General Education requirements while traveling throughout a country with OU professors and students. For this program, you will visit several important cities and sites within Italy including Arezzo, Florence, Pompeii, Rome, and Venice!
The following two courses will be taught with each being a 3-credit upper-division course in International and Area Studies and will fulfill a General Education requirement, as approved by the Provost's Advisory Committee on General Education.
- AHI 3313 Art and Culture in Italy, a hands-on Art History course, Professor Kirk Duclaux, Director of Italian Programs in Italy for the University of Oklahoma.
- IAS 3920 025/ IAS 5820 025 Western Art Music and Italian Culture, Dr. Ellis, Associate Professor, Music Theory
June 2nd, 2015 - June 30th, 2015 (A detailed trip itinerary will be given to program participants during the pre-departure orientation sessions: Education Abroad will facilitate two mandatory group meetings including the professors, program alumni, and staff where logistic matters, finances, health, safety and security issues, cultural aspects, and relevant academic information will be discussed.)
Each accepted Journey Participant will pay a nonrefundable $500 deposit - this deposit is due within one week after notification of acceptance (Please note: your $500 deposit is nonrefundable).
You will need to submit all payments in person to Lauren Lee-Lewis in Hester Hall, Room 107.
- Program Fee: $3,500 (Your program fee includes in-country travel, housing, guided tours, some meals (breakfast during the trip time, breakfast and dinner during the stay in Arezzo), and on-site advising and assistance. This price does not include international airfare, passport application and/or renewal fees, additional meals, personal expenses, or OU tuition and fees for 6 credit hours.)
- 1st payment = $500 nonrefundable deposit due within one week after notification of acceptance
- 2nd payment = $1500 due March 13th, 2015
- 3rd payment = $1500 due April 10th, 2015
- Airfare: $1,200 - $1,500 ($1,500 covered by PITF scholarship) (Please do not book your international flight until your adviser has given you further information.)
- OU Tuition & Fees - 6 hours, normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid, scholarships and/or banked hours may apply)
- Education Abroad Application Fee - $35 (charged to your Bursar account)
- CMI Insurance Worldwide (formerly FrontierMEDEX) Health & Travel Insurance - ~$40 (charged to your Bursar account)
- Additional meals out / Personal expenses
All accepted Journey to Italy 2015 participants receive a PITF scholarship of $1500 to help offset the cost of international airfare to and from Rome Fiumicino Airport. There are also a number of additional scholarships available for study abroad students, including but not limited to the following: Housing
Participants will stay as a group in hotels. Each student will share a room with at least one other student. The accomodation is fully included in the program cost.
The Summer 2015 Journey to Italy application deadline is March 1, 2015. Note that this program does not have rolling admission like other Journey programs; all applications for Journey to Italy will be reviewed in late February/early March. Students with a 3.0 or higher GPA and background coursework in Italian or Latin language, literature, or art will be given priority consideration in the application process; however, previous study of Italian is not required as coursework takes place in English. Maturity and independence are also highly regarded qualities in all study abroad applications. A total of 30 OU students will be selected to participate in this year's program.
The first step to apply for this program is to attend a Study Abroad 101 session, offered weekdays throughout the semester. Note that as part of your application you are required to meet with a Study Abroad Adviser - click here to schedule an appointment.
This study experience will involve some rugged travel and hiking. Each student should consider his/her own physical fitness as well as his/her tolerance to extreme heat and non-standard accommodation. Additionally, students may need to get vaccinations and medications prior to departure. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure his/her routine vaccinations are up-to-date and to inquire whether there are recommended and/or required vaccinations or medications for the country/countries he/she will visit (including any countries he/she will visit which are not part of the study abroad program’s itinerary). To find comprehensive information regarding international travel, including recommended or required vaccinations and medications, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. We recommend students visit a healthcare provider and acquire any necessary vaccinations and medications at least two (2) months prior to departure. Goddard Health Center (on the OU campus) is a good place for students to acquire the appropriate vaccinations and medications.
Bridgitte Castorino, Adviser for OU in Arezzo and Journey to Italy Programs
Hester Hall, Room 144
OU Education Abroad
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
Indicates that deadline has passed