Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Language of Instruction:||English||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10003Non-English Language Prerequisite:
|No Language Preqrequisite|
|Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Monica Goodwin||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011Program Type:
|Study Level:||Graduate, Undergraduate|
Summer 2019 Highlights
- Travel throughout Italy with OU professors and other OU students
- Earn 6 Upper Division General Education credits (pending review by the Provost's Advisory Committee on General Education)
- Use your banked hours and save on tuition/fees
- Want to stay in Italy for longer? Apply for Italy 2.0 - it counts as a Spring semester course!
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
Journey programs are designed to fulfill General Education requirements while traveling throughout a country with OU professors and students. For this program, you will visit several important cities and sites within Italy. Potential cities to be visited include Arezzo, Florence, Pompeii, Rome, and Venice!
Journey to Italy will offer the following two courses, both of which are approved for General Education credit. You are required to take both courses in order to participate in this program.
The budget estimate for the 2019 Journey to Italy program is below; this budget does not include personal expenses.
- OU Tuition & Fees - normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid, scholarships and/or banked hours may apply)
- Program Fee - $TBD (includes housing, in-country travel, and most meals)
- 1st payment = $500 nonrefundable deposit due with program acceptance.
- 2nd payment = $TBD nonrefundable program fee payment
- 3rd payment = $TBD nonrefundable program fee payment
- Airfare - ~$1500
- Education Abroad Application Fee - $50 (charged to your Bursar account)
- Presidential International Travel Fellowship - may receive up to full cost of airfare based on demonstrated financial need
- CASH - OU academic and study abroad scholarship hub
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - a nationally competitive award for Pell grant recipients
- Dean Suzette Grillot Scholarship - for students at the University of Oklahoma who participate in the University’s signature study abroad program in Arezzo, Italy.
Participants will stay as a group. Each student will share a room with at least one other student. The accommodation is fully included in the program cost. Accommodations may include hotels, guesthouses, and the Santa Chiara Monastery in Arezzo.
The first step to apply for this program is to attend a Study Abroad 101 session, offered weekdays throughout the semester. You will also need to schedule an advising appointment here.
The online application includes things to read, sign, and complete. You will need one letter of recommendation from a professor who has graded you, and you will need to answer three essay questions:
- Why have you applied to this specific study abroad program?
- What are 2-3 goals you’ve set for your study abroad experience and how will you accomplish them?
- What are 2-3 challenges you expect to face abroad and how will you overcome them?
Your Study Abroad Adviser for Journey to Italy is Monica Goodwin. Please contact Monica by email or schedule an appointment by logging in to iadvise.ou.edu/studyabroad if you have any questions about this program.
This study experience will involve some rugged travel and hiking. Each student should consider his/her own physical fitness as well as his/her tolerance to extreme heat and non-standard accommodation. Additionally, students may need to get vaccinations and medications prior to departure. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure his/her routine vaccinations are up-to-date and to inquire whether there are recommended and/or required vaccinations or medications for the country/countries he/she will visit (including any countries he/she will visit which are not part of the study abroad program’s itinerary). To find comprehensive information regarding international travel, including recommended or required vaccinations and medications, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. We recommend students visit a healthcare provider and acquire any necessary vaccinations and medications at least two (2) months prior to departure. Goddard Health Center (on the OU campus) is a good place for students to acquire the appropriate vaccinations and medications.
Monica Goodwin, Study Abroad Adviser
Farzaneh Hall 144
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|