Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||Journey Programs||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||No Language Preqrequisite||Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Bridgitte Castorino|
|Language Category:||Language Category B|
Summer 2016 Highlights
- Travel throughout Italy with OU professors and other OU students
- Earn 6 Upper Division General Education credits (pending review by the Provost's Advisory Committee on General Education)
- Use your banked hours and save on tuition/fees
- PITF Airfare scholarship GUARANTEED for ALL Journey Program participants
- Application opens November 18th
- Applications due January 29th
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
Journey programs are designed to fulfill General Education requirements while traveling throughout a country with OU professors and students. For this program, you will visit several important cities and sites within Italy. Potential cities to be visited include Arezzo, Florence, Pompeii, Rome, and Venice!
Journey to Italy will offer the following two courses, one of which is pending approval for General Education credit. You are required to take both courses in order to participate in this program.
- AHI 3313 Art and Culture in Italy (Gen-Ed Western Civ), a hands-on Art History course, Professor Kirk Duclaux, Director of Italian Programs in Italy for the University of Oklahoma.
- IAS 3920/5820 Journey to Italy: Revolutionaries, Radicals, and Freedom Fighters (Gen-Ed Western Civ), Professor Emily Rook-Koepsel
2016 Projected DatesJune 1 - June 30
The budget estimate for the 2016 Journey to Italy program is below; this budget does not include personal expenses.
- OU Tuition & Fees - normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid, scholarships and/or banked hours may apply)
- Program Fee - $3,500 (includes housing, in-country travel, and most meals)
- 1st payment = $500 nonrefundable deposit due with program acceptance
- 2nd payment = half of the remaining nonrefundable program fee ($1,500) due in March 2016
- 3rd payment = nonrefundable program fee ($1,500) balance due in April 2016
- Airfare - ~$1500 (PITF scholarship of at least $500 awarded to all Journey to Italy participants)
- Education Abroad Application Fee - $50 (charged to your Bursar account)
- Dean Suzette Grillot Scholarship - for students at the University of Oklahoma who participate in the University’s signature study abroad program in Arezzo, Italy.
Participants will stay as a group in hotels. Each student will share a room with at least one other student. The accommodation is fully included in the program cost.
The first step to apply for this program is to attend a Study Abroad 101 session, offered weekdays throughout the semester.
The Phase 2 application will open on November 18th after the Journey Programs Launch Party. Once the application opens, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page and then complete the online application until every box is checked off. As part of your application you are required to meet with a Study Abroad Adviser - click here to schedule an appointment.
- Note that this program does not have rolling admission like other Journey programs; applications are due January 29th. All applications for Journey to Italy will be reviewed in early February. Students with a 3.0 or higher GPA and background coursework in Italian or Latin language, literature, or art will be given priority consideration in the application process; however, previous study of Italian is not required as coursework takes place in English. Maturity and independence are also highly regarded qualities in all study abroad applications. A total of 30 OU students will be selected to participate in this year's program.
Your Study Abroad Adviser for Journey to Italy is Bridgitte Castorino. Please contact Bridgitte by email or make an appointment if you have any questions about this program.
This study experience will involve some rugged travel and hiking. Each student should consider his/her own physical fitness as well as his/her tolerance to extreme heat and non-standard accommodation. Additionally, students may need to get vaccinations and medications prior to departure. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure his/her routine vaccinations are up-to-date and to inquire whether there are recommended and/or required vaccinations or medications for the country/countries he/she will visit (including any countries he/she will visit which are not part of the study abroad program’s itinerary). To find comprehensive information regarding international travel, including recommended or required vaccinations and medications, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. We recommend students visit a healthcare provider and acquire any necessary vaccinations and medications at least two (2) months prior to departure. Goddard Health Center (on the OU campus) is a good place for students to acquire the appropriate vaccinations and medications.
Bridgitte Castorino, Adviser for OU in Arezzo and Journey to Italy Programs
Hester Hall, Room 144
OU Education Abroad
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|