|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Program Type:||Journey Program|
|Non-English Language Prerequisite:||No Language Preqrequisite||Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse, Student Dormitories|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Study Abroad Adviser:||Nicole Bisby|
All students accepted to the Journey to China program will receive a $2000 PITF scholarship award
- Location: Visit 8 cities across China with OU students and professors!
- Academics: 6 upper-division credits
- Cost: 1) OU tuition/fees to the Bursar at your regular rate (in state or out of state), 2) Program Fee, 3) Flight, 4) Visa, 5) Extra
- Dates: May 14th, 2014 - June 4th, 2014 (A detailed trip itinerary will be given to program participants during the pre-departure orientation sessions: Education Abroad will facilitate two mandatory group meetings including the professors, program alumni, and staff where logistic matters, finances, health, safety and security issues, cultural aspects, and relevant academic information will be discussed.)
- Housing: Hotels, hostels, guest house (Participants will stay as a group in hotels. Each student will share a room with at least one other student. The accomodation is fully included in the program cost.)
The following two courses will be taught with each being a 3-credit upper-division course in International and Area Studies and will fulfill a General Education requirement, as approved by the Provost's Advisory Committee on General Education.
- IAS 3930 China's Rise - A 360-Degree Examination, Professor Bo Kong
- IAS 3930 Chinese History & Culture, Professor Alan Atkinson
- The Great Wall of China in Beijing
- The Terra Cotta Warriors in Xi'an
- A traditional water village in Suzhou
- The Bund and the US Consulate in Shanghai
- Victoria Peak in Hong Kong
The Program Fee for the Journey to China 2014 is $3,800 and will be split into 3 separate payments:
Each accepted Journey Participant will pay a non-refundable $500 deposit - this deposit is due one week after notification of acceptance (your $500 deposit is non-refundable).
$500 (deposit) February
$1,650 (payment 1) March 3rd
$1,650 (final payment) April 1
You will need to submit all payments in person to Merla Davis in the College of International Studies in the Chemistry Building on the North Oval, room 112.
- Program Fee: $3,800 (Your program fee includes in-country travel, housing, guided tours, some meals, and on-site advising and assistance. This price does not include international airfare, passport application and/or renewal fees, additional meals, personal expenses, or OU tuition and fees for 6 credit hours.)
- Airfare: $1,500 - $2,000 ($2000 covered by PITF scholarship) (Please do not book your international flight until your adviser has given you further information.)
- Visa Fee: $140
- OU tuition and fees for 6 credit hours (Students will pay for 6 hours of OU tuition and fees at the rate they are normally charged (resident or non-resident) separately from the program fee.)
- Additional meals out / Personal expenses
PITF Scholarship: All accepted Journey to China 2014 participants receive a PITF scholarship of $2000 to help offset the cost of international airfare. All applicants must complete a PITF application by February 21 to receive the scholarship. Students with significant financial need should complete both portions of the PITF as extra funds may be distributed on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Check with the bursar about particular scholarships.
- Money Matters scholarships and links
- PITF Scholarship ($2000)
- College of Arts & Sciences
- OU Scholarship Guide
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- Completion of Online Application
- 1 Recommendation from an OU professor
Summer 2014 Journey to China application deadline is on a rolling admission and begins December 1, 2013.
Students can start the application process whenever they want. Review of applications will begin on Dec. 1st, and it will go in the order of application completion. If a student is accepted into a program, he/she will be asked to put down a $500 deposit within a week. If the student can’t pay the deposit, he/she will be added to the waiting list until he/she is able to make the payment, and if spots are still available, the student will join the group.
- Start by attending a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn the basics about study abroad as well as your next steps.
- Next, come to an advising session with Nicole Bisby to move on to Phase 2!
- Walk-in hours: Tuesday 10:00 - 11:00 or Thursday from 2:00 to 3:00
- Group Advising: Tuesday and Friday at 2:30
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2014||02/21/2014 **||Rolling Admission||05/14/2014||06/04/2014|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed