|Restrictions:||OU applicants only|
|Program Type:||Journey Programs||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Housing Type:||Hotel or Guesthouse||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Study Abroad Adviser:||Shanna Vincent|
Summer 2015 Highlights
- Travel throughout Turkey with OU professors and other OU students
- Earn 6 General Education credits (pending review by the Provost's office)
- Use your banked hours and save on tuition/fees!
- PITF Airfare scholarship GUARANTEED for ALL Journey Program participants!
- Rolling admission begins November 11th, 2014
In addition to meeting the study abroad eligibility requirements, you must also have:
- 2.5 Combined Retained GPA
- Passport (valid through six months after return from study abroad)
- 1 recommendation letter from any OU professor
Journey programs are designed to fulfill General Education requirements while traveling throughout a country with OU professors and students. For this program, you will visit several important cities and sites within Turkey including Ankara, Antalya, Cappadocia, and Istanbul. Activities include visiting the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, the Mediterranean city of Antalya, Ataturk's Mausoleum in Ankara, and more!
Journey to Turkey will offer the following two courses, both of which are pending General Education approval. You are required to take both courses in order to participate in this program.
- IAS 3950/5850 Journey to Turkey (taught by Dr. Firat Demir)
- IAS 3950/5850 Journey to Turkey (taught by Dr. Mitchell Smith)
May 18 - Depart from the US for Turkey
June 8 - Depart Turkey for the US
The budget estimate for the 2015 Journey to Turkey program is below; this budget does not include personal expenses.
- OU Tuition & Fees - normal in-state or out-of-state rate (financial aid, scholarships and/or banked hours may apply)
- Program Fee - $3850 (includes housing, in-country travel, and most meals)
- Airfare - ~$1500 ($1500 PITF scholarship awarded to all Journey to Turkey participants)
- Visa - ~$25 (this is an estimate; more information and guidance will be provided by your OU study abroad adviser)
- Ambassador Perkins Scholarship - awarded to students with at least a 3.0 GPA studying in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, South and Central America.
Accommodations for Summer 2015 are still under consideration. Students on Journey to Turkey generally live together in a mixture of hotels and guesthouses that vary with each city visited.
The first step to apply for this program is to attend a Study Abroad 101 session, offered weekdays throughout the semester.
The Phase 2 Application will open on November 11th after the Journey Programs Launch Party (more info to come). After the Launch Party you can click the Apply Now button at the top of this page and then complete the online application until every box is checked off. Notice that you are required to meet with an Education Abroad Adviser as part of your Phase 2 application - click here to schedule an appointment!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis after November 11th. Applicants with complete applications will be emailed and directed to submit their nonrefundable $500 deposit, which guarantees their spot in the program.
Your Study Abroad Adviser for Journey to Turkey is Shanna Vincent. Please contact Shanna by email or make an appointment if you have any questions about this program.
This study experience will involve some rugged travel and hiking. Each student should consider his/her own physical fitness as well as his/her tolerance to extreme heat and non-standard accommodation. Additionally, students may need to get vaccinations and medications prior to departure. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure his/her routine vaccinations are up-to-date and to inquire whether there are recommended and/or required vaccinations or medications for the country/countries he/she will visit (including any countries he/she will visit which are not part of the study abroad program’s itinerary). To find comprehensive information regarding international travel, including recommended or required vaccinations and medications, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. We recommend students visit a healthcare provider and acquire any necessary vaccinations and medications at least two (2) months prior to departure. Goddard Health Center (on the OU campus) is a good place for students to acquire the appropriate vaccinations and medications.
|Dates / Deadlines:|